Entertaining this Summer? Simple, quick and easy drink & nibble recipes and a little decor inspiration
Posted on 07 August 2016
Good morning guys!
How has your week been? Ours has flown by! We've received an array of enchanting new stock from Needle Knitwear and Seven Boot Lane, which we know you will love as much as we do. It's been a busy week so we hope have all new stock online tomorrow (Monday) afternoon ~ keep your eyes peeled! 👀
We have spent the later part of this week finalising bits and pieces for our in-store event ~ '3 days of Hero Summer', which continues in-store today from 10am - 4pm.
It may seem a little early to be thinking about bubbles (depending on how your Sunday morning head is feeling after Saturday night!? 🙈) but from 2 - 3pm this afternoon we will be sharing some Sunday love and offering you guys 'Bubbles & Brownies' (homemade lemonade for children!) so please come along, enjoy a glass and all that's going on in-store... taste an abundance of Belgium chocolate from 'Choose Chocolate', try on some beachwear from JoJo Inspired and enjoy 20% OFF all new Hero stock (for today only!).
In keeping with all that's been going on in-store and throughout the event this weekend, we thought we'd keep the blog fairly light hearted and share some fail-safe food and drink recipes which are forever useful when entertaining. Don't get caught up in the kitchen! Prepare beforehand and enjoy the soiree alongside everyone else 🙌🏻.
Today we're sharing a recipe from Nigella Lawson as Lizzie, owner & founder of Needle Knitwear, very kindly baked us some last week which we were bowled over with!
We must admit that this weekend we're getting our brownies from Hoxton Bakehouse because time is precious and this week other areas have required more attention (as always, it's about balance). That and we know just how delicious they are!
Makes: 16 squares
225 g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
225 g butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200 g caster sugar
3 large eggs (beaten)
150 g ground almonds
100 g chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3/325ºF. Melt the chocolate and butter gently over a low heat in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Take the pan off the heat, mix in the vanilla and sugar, and let it cool a little.
3. Beat the eggs into the pan along with the ground almonds and chopped walnuts. Turn into a 24cm / 9 inch square baking tin or, most sensibly, use a foil one.
4. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, by which time the top will have set but the mixture will still be gooey. Once cooler, cut carefully, four down, four across, into 16 squidgy-bellied squares.
The vibrancy of this dip really caught our eye. Serve with crudities or plain crips to maximise flavour as a snack or integrate into a mezze platter.
240 g feta cheese
120 g jarred red peppers (drained weight)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a food processor combine the feta, red peppers and oil.
2. Season with black pepper and blend until smooth.
3. Transfer to a bowl, then serve.
ELDERFLOWER PROSECCO COCKTAIL
Just how divine do these look! Pretty as a picture! Come and taste a similar tipple with us at Hero later on this afternoon from 2-3pm.
Adding simple details, such as edible flowers and a few sliced strawberries really enhances the overall look. We're all about the details!
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 lime, juiced
30ml of gin
1. Fill a glass or a wine glass with ice. Add the lemon and lime juice, the gin, then a good splash of elderflower cordial.
2. Fill the rest of the glass with Prosecco then have a taste (you want about 2/3 Prosecco to 2/3 everything else).
3. You might need to add more elderflower if it’s too tart for you. Frozen berries in the freezer make a stellar garnish for this - especially strawberries.
TABLE DECOR INSPITATION VIA PINTEREST...
As always, we've been busy pinning over on Pinterest for an extra boost of inspiration.
Here are a few images which we adore...(some of which are making us a little peckish!)....
Trout 'n About - Stockbridge's annual food & craft festival is also taking place along the High street today from 10am, so be sure to come and enjoy the stalls, entertainment and general buzz which will make it a family Sunday to remember.
We're looking forward to seeing some friendly faces today, so let the Sunday fun commence!
Team Hero xxx