Recipe: YUMMY DAYS Lime & Almond Cake
Posted on 01 October 2017
If you're near Hero during one of our in-store events as lunchtime strikes, you've not been mistaken if you've heard cheers of joy as we serve...
...and when I say we, it's very much the "Royal-we!". The brains behind the delicious food is founder of YUMMY DAYS, Andrea Escherhaus.
Andrea has lived and ventured all over Europe; living in France and Germany, travelling to Switzerland, Austria and Italy before moving from Hamburg to live in the New Forest, Hampshire, with her partner, Andrew.
"In summer 2014 Andrew and I started to talk a lot about what we could do. We wanted to create something unique and environmentally responsible. A healthy food business linked up with our lifestyle and always with a story to tell. My recipes come from an age of inspired cooking from all over Europe, developing my own unique style, bringing traditional and modern together."
Prior to founding YUMMY DAYS, Andrea taught successful culinary workshops and organised events, working with brands like Ferrari and Maserati.
Andrea's passion is to combine the delights of fine European cooking using robust English combinations, which create a distinctive style and flavour all of its own.
"I utilise the knowledge I gained from an early age from my grandfather Paul, a master baker and confectioner who lived in Söllhuben, Bavaria."
YUMMY DAYS is now a micro deli style food pop up stall currently trading from Shaftesbury where Andrea sells granola, fresh pestos.
"All our seasonal products are freshly-made, free from preservatives and hand picked in wonderful gardens and organic fields."
Andrea really knows how to combine flavours, we're always wowed by her creations and keep going back for more! The next event that Andrea is making lunch for is 'HOW TO BUILD YOUR BRAND INFLUENCE ON INSTAGRAM' on Friday 13th October. Take a look at all of our upcoming events, here.
Andrea's Lime and Almond Cake
250g butter softened
220g cater sugar
1 unwaxed lime (grated zest)
4 organic eggs
120g grounded almonds
120g organic plain white flour
2 tbs baking powder
200g icing sugar mixed with lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C.
2. Grease a 24 cm springform cake tin and line the base and sides with baking parchment.
3. Put the butter and sugar in bowl of a free standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat all smooth togehter.
4. Whisk the eggs in a clean bowl together.
5. Mix into the smooth batter together with the lime zest.
6. Mix the flour, almonds and baking powder together and pour all into the batter. Then pour all into the lined tin, level it with a palette knife and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a while then remove.
9. To make the icing, beat togehter the icing sugar and lemon juice until the icing is totally smooth.
10. Sprinkle some lemon zest on top.